Corporate & Business Law
Our firm boasts a vast depth and breadth of exposure in several areas of business law. We routinely advise clients on corporations, limited liability companies, and partnerships. We have considerable experience with mergers and asset acquisition, reorganization, and liquidation. Our attorneys counsel a broad range of industries, including soft drink bottlers, manufacturing corporations, funeral homes, oil and propane distributors, and real estate holding companies.
Our team's most fundamental objective is to understand our clients' unique business needs and help them exceed their goals. The firm's personalized services and accessibility simplify legal complexities and help our clients respond to changing market conditions, adapt to unforeseen challenges, and take advantage of new opportunities.
As attorneys practicing in Smithfield and Raleigh, North Carolina, we understand how overwhelming and stressful it can be for clients to file for bankruptcy. Our primary goal is to help clients navigate the bankruptcy process with ease and achieve financial stability. We provide comprehensive legal representation to clients throughout the bankruptcy process, from the initial consultation to the final discharge of debts.
The firm's litigation arm is an integral part of our general practice. We provide representation a wide variety of matters in both state and federal courts, where, combined, our attorneys have tried numerous cases. Our civil litigation practice includes:
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Eminent Domain/Condemnation
- Trust and Estate Litigation
- Business Disputes
- Construction Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Administrative and Regulatory Law
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Workers' Compensation
- General State and Federal Civil Litigation
Our attorneys regularly brief and argue on constitutional issues and for appeals before the North Carolina Court of Appeals, the NC Supreme Court, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth District. We also represent clients before many government agencies, including the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality, the NC Board of Mortuary Science, and the NC Employment Security Commission.
Estates & Trusts
Our firm offers a variety of wealth management services to help our clients pass accumulated assets efficiently over multiple generations. Creating an estate plan with Narron Wenzel, P.A. can be a straightforward way to avoid hassles and unnecessary expenses in the future. By engaging with our clients' individual circumstances and goals, we can suggest and implement options for maintaining your estate and protecting your wealth for future generations. Our attorneys can:
- Create and maintain Durable Powers of Attorney and Healthcare Powers of Attorney
- Plan to reduce estate taxes
- Prepare a Will, and help manage the probate process
- Advocate on behalf of clients and their families in the event fiduciary litigation is necessary
- Protect your property from your inheritor's financial circumstances
- Classify your brokerage and retirement accounts into tax-friendly trusts or businesses
- Write irrevocable trusts, charitable trusts, medical directives, and prenuptial agreements.
Commercial & Residential Real Estate
Commercial Real Estate
Our lawyers negotiate and structure ground leases with Fortune 500 companies and have assisted in the acquisition of scores of major shopping centers, office complexes, manufacturing sites, and apartment complexes in many states. We often work with national lenders on conduit loans and with regional banks on more conventional financing arrangements (see the firm's section on Commercial Law). Our attorneys have litigated cases in a variety of contested real estate issues, including:
- Easement abandonment
- Agricultural nuisance cases
- Tax-deferred like-kind exchanges and reverse like-kind exchanges
- Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)
Residential Real Estate
Our real estate section also works on more conventional real estate matters, including the purchase of property or home for an individual and their family. Our residential practice includes sales and acquisition concerns, title deeds, land use arrangements, development, leasing, and financing.
Labor and Employment Law
Labor and Employment core competencies:
- Background checks, Fair Credit Reporting Act compliance
- Employment agreements, noncompetition covenants, and nondisclosure agreements
- Protection of Trade Secrets and Confidential Information
- Employee handbooks
- Employee benefits and payroll practices
- Copyrights for works made for hire
- Equal Pay Act
- Wage and hour compliance
- Workplace safety and workers’ compensation
- Managing employee absence and leave policies
- National Labor Relations Act
- EEO compliance
- Prevention of illegal harassment
- Employee discipline and termination
- Layoffs and RIF’s
- “Last Paycheck” issues
- Unemployment benefits
- Representation before enforcement agencies (EEOC, OFCCP, DOL) and in state and federal courts
Joe Austin has devoted over 40 years of his professional career to helping individuals, businesses, and public institutions with these and related legal issues from the Capital to the Coast, and from Currituck to Calabash. He is delighted to share his insights, information, and practical problem-solving experience to address your labor and employment legal needs.
Our attorneys specialize in Tax Law in various tax related areas. Narron Wenzel practices with three Master of Laws attorneys: Mr. James Narron, Matthew McGonagle and Mrs. Rachel Mills.
- Business & Individual Tax Planning
- IRS & State Audits and Appeals
- Tax Litigation
- Collections Issues
- Tax-Exempt Entities